Normally, we tell everyone that with Pre steaks all you need is a little salt and high heat oil to get the perfect bite. We stand by this but every once in awhile we get a craving for a little sliced top sirloin on a taco salad or some turmeric rubbed New York Strip with kale mashed potatoes.
A good steak rub can add extra flavor and a nice crust. A rub also allows you to cater the flavors to your own taste buds. Depending on what you have in your pantry, ingredients for a quality rub are always at your fingertips. We pulled three of our favorite steak rubs including our turmeric rub, our classic chili rub, and our Jamaican jerk rub.
Our 3 Favorite Steak Rubs
1. Turmeric Rub
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp coconut sugar
1 tbsp grapeseed oil (or other high heat oil)
- Stir together steak rub ingredients in a small bowl: oil, pepper, turmeric, chi
- Rub dry steak all over with spice/oil mixture.
- Preheat skillet to medium-high. Cook steak in the skillet for about 4-5 minutes each side. Pull from skillet and let rest for 7 minutes before slicing.
- Slice steak against the grain and serve! For full recipe click here.
2. Chili Rub
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp cumin
1 tsp white pepper
1 tsp smoky paprika
3 tbsp grapeseed oil (or other high heat oil)
- Make the chili rub by mixing all the ingredients into a small bowl. Add oil last. This should create a thick wet sand mixture that will stick to your strip steaks.
- Oil grill grates with a paper towel or basting brush, then place steaks onto hot sections of grill. Cook for about 3 minutes on each side and then move to low heat zone to finish remainder of cooking.
- If rub starts to burn, simply put a piece of foil underneath the steaks. Cooking until internal temperature reads 100-110. Then remove from grill.
- If using a cast iron on the stove, preheat cast iron to medium high and cook steaks for 4-5 minutes on each side. Let rest for 7 minutes.
- Serve steaks whole or sliced. Find the full recipe with Corn Salsa here.
3. Jamaican Jerk Recipe
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/8 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp sea salt (Redmond's Real Salt is our favorite)
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp grapeseed oil (or other high heat oil)
- Preheat a cast iron skillet or non-stick skillet to medium high heat.
- Prepare the rub. Combine all spices in a small bowl.
- Add oil to the spices to make a paste-like mixture.
- Rub the spice mixture all over the steak.
- Place into greased hot skillet. If your steak is 2" thick let it cook for 5 minutes on each side for medium rare.
- Let rest for 6 minutes on a cutting board.
- Slice the steak into thin strips. For full Jamaican Jerk Skewer Bowl recipe click here.
Make one of these rubs? Take a picture and tag us on social at @eatpre_ or use #beefbliss.