FOR THIS RECIPE WE USED:
92% Lean Ground Beef
- 1/2 mixture of the Maple Breakfast Sausage, do not form into patties (you could make the whole mixture and use the other 1/2 for breakfast sausage another time!)
- 2 pre-made pie crusts of choice formed into a ball and rolled out to 1/4" thick.
- 5 eggs, beaten; 1 egg beaten with 1 tbsp water, set aside
- 1/2 cup shredded white cheddar cheese *optional
- 1 tsp high heat oil, or cooking spray
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Rolling Pin
- A 6" baking rectangle or the lid to Tupperware (what I always use)
Let's cook this
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook the breakfast sausage mixture until it just brown crumbles. Set aside.
- Wipe out the pan, add 1 tsp of oil and reheat the pan to medium-low.
- Pour eggs, salt, and pepper into the pan. Move slowly around the pan, scraping the bottoms and sides with wooden spoon or spatula. Remove eggs from heat when they are a soft scramble and still slightly runny.
- Roll your ball of dough onto a flour sifted surface.
- Using a sharp knife, cut 8 - 1/4" thick rectangles out of the dough. You will have to form the scraps into a ball and re-roll at least twice.
- Roll 4 of these rectangles to be a little bit longer on all sides. These will be the tops.
- On a parchment lined baking sheet line up the four bases of dough.
- Scoop 2-3 tbsp of breakfast sausage into the center of each base. Top with 2 tbsp of soft eggs. And 2 tbsp cheese.*
- Cover with the tops, and fold/roll the dough towards the center of the pop tart on all sides. Crimp the edges down with a fork. Brush the tops with egg wash.
- Bake the pop tarts according to pie crust instructions or for about 18-20 minutes until crisp, flaky, and starting to brown.
- Let cool completely and then wrap individually in 1 layer of parchment and 1 layer of foil. Store in airtight Ziploc in the freezer for 1 month.
- To reheat for toaster oven: reheat for 10 minutes at 450F. To reheat in a toaster: unwrap completely and put into the toaster 4-5 minutes.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.