Chili Mac and Cheese
1 hour serves 8-10
Chili Mac and Cheese
Chili Mac? How about Chili Mac AND CHEESE? This crowd-pleaser checks all of your Super Bowl Game Day Party boxes. Feel free to make this recipe ahead of time. This Chili Mac is made in one pan, and you can double or even triple the recipe; leftovers (right?) freeze beautifully, and it makes the most of your party budget dollars. It’s super easy to make (yeah, we took a few shortcuts on the chili component) and can easily be reheated if your party heads into overtime.You can find excellent quality queso dip in most grocery stores or make it yourself following this recipe.Also, for this recipe, you don’t have to bother draining and rinsing the beans; the can's liquid adds a nice body to the sauce.
- 8 oz small elbow macaroni, noodle, or shell pasta
- 1 t high heat cooking oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, mashed
- 1 16 oz package Pre ground beef
- 1/2 t kosher salt
- 1/2 t favorite hot sauce
- 1 28 oz can low sodium crushed tomatoes
- 1 14 oz can kidney beans
- 2 C low sodium chicken stock
- 1 3 oz packet chili mix or 3 T chili powder
- 1 8 oz container store bought queso blanco dipping cheese
- Sour cream
- Sliced jalapeños
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Minced cilantro
- Sliced green onions
- Frito scoop chips or tortilla chips
- Bring a medium stock pot filled 2/3 full with water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook according to package directions, but cook for 2 minutes less than directed.
- While the pasta is cooking, in a large pan (you can use the one you plan to serve in), heat oil over medium heat and add onions and garlic, cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the ground beef, breaking it up as you go, until it begins to brown, about 8 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients except for queso dip (salt through chili mix) and stir well to combine.
- When the pasta is done, drain and add to the chili mixture. Add queso dip and mix thoroughly. Cook for an additional 10 minutes over low heat. Let sit for 30 to 40 minutes before serving; gently rewarm over low heat. The dish can be made up to 2 days ahead; cover it with foil and keep it in the fridge. When ready to serve, remove from refrigerator for about 30 minutes, preheat oven to 300 F, and bake for 20 to 30 minutes until warmed.
Amount per 276g
Nutrition is approximate, data retrieved from happyforks.com