1 hour 35 min serves 2-4
Bring your Bourguignon to the next level with Pre's Chuck Roast.
- 1 Pre Chuck Roast, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1 6-ounce piece pork belly, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 3 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 pound white mushrooms, fresh and quartered
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons cassava flour
- 3 cups red wine, like Burgundy
- 2 1/2 to 3 cups low sodium beef stock
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves, mashed
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 bay leaf, crumbled
- 18 to 24 white pearl onions, peeled
- 3 1/2 tablespoons grass-fed butter or coconut oil, divided
- Turn Instant Pot to the "sauté" setting. Lightly brown the pork in 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Set aside.
- Use a paper towel to pat chuck roast dry. Add beef cubes to the Instant Pot, a few pieces at a time, and sauté until nicely browned on all sides. Set aside.
- Brown the sliced vegetables in the Instant Pot. Pour out the excess fat.
- Return the beef and bacon to the pot and toss with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Sprinkle with flour and toss again to coat the beef lightly.
- Close Instant Pot and set to manual for 10 minutes. Let it naturally release.
- Stir in wine and stock, just enough to barely cover the meat. Add the tomato paste, broth collagen, garlic, herbs, and bacon rind. Bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat, cover and cook for 30 minutes in Instant Pot on "manual."
- Sauté pearl onions stovetop with butter until caramelized and browned slightly. Set aside.
- Sauté mushrooms in the same pan until browned. Set aside.
- Naturally, release pressure from Instant Pot and strain the liquid into a saucepan. On high heat, reduce the liquid in saucepan until about 2½ cups remain. This will be your sauce.
- Combine all elements: beef, sauce, onions, and mushrooms. Stir gently; the beef will be soft.
- Serve with mashed root vegetables: potato, turnip, or squash.