25 min serves 1-2
Forget the bun! Serve your next steak sandwich with crispy plantains "buns."
- 1 Pre New York Strip Steak
- 2 large green plantains
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon taco seasoning (no sugar)
- 2 tablespoons Chipotle Lime Mayo (Primal Kitchens)
- 1-2 small tomatoes, sliced
- ¼ red onion, sliced
- ⅓ avocado, sliced
- Handful of fresh spinach or romaine lettuce
- Peel both green plantains, then cut in half horizontally.
- Heat 2 tablespoons coconut oil in a cast iron skillet until hot but not smoking. Place plantains in the oil and cook each side for a couple minutes until golden brown.
- Temporarily remove from pan. Using a heavy plate, gently smash the plantains until they are ¼ inch thick then add back to pan and cook until crispy on both sides. Set aside.
- Prepare steak. Pat dry with paper towel. Season each side with ½ teaspoon taco seasoning.
- Preheat pan to medium high heat. Cook steak to desired doneness. Set aside and let rest 5 minutes before slicing.
- Slice tomato, avocado, and onion.
- Assemble sandwich with plantain bun, mayo, thinly sliced steak, tomato, onion, avocado, and spinach or lettuce.
- Enjoy warm.