Whole 30 Pepper Steak
40 min serves 4-6
Whole 30 Pepper Steak
Doing Whole 30 in a non Whole 30 household? Try this crowd pleasing pepper steak recipe and everyone wins. Your non complaint dining partners won’t miss a thing! And of course you can swap out brown or white rice for the cauliflower rice for those who prefer it. Have all of your ingredients prepped and ready and this dish comes together in under 15 minutes.
- 2 5 OZ Pre Filet Mignon steaks
- 2 T avocado oil, divided
- 1/2 C coconut aminos, divided
- 1 t kosher salt
- 2 T tapioca flour
- 1/4 C low sodium chicken stock
- 1 T rice vinegar
- 2 t complaint fish sauce, we love Red Boat
- 1 T fresh ginger, minced
- 2 T fresh garlic, minced or passed through a garlic press
- 1/8 t cayenne pepper
- 1/2 green bell pepper, cut in to 1/2” pieces
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cut in to 1/2” pieces
- 1/2 orange bell pepper, cut in to 1/2” pieces
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, cut in to 1/2” pieces
- 1 small onion, cut in to 1/2” pieces
- 3 stalks celery, tough ribs removed with a vegetable peeler, cut diagonally in to 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 C lightly salted cashews, roughly chopped
- Prepared cauliflower rice for serving
- Place steaks in the freezer while preparing the other ingredients. This will help making cutting the meat easier.
- Mix 1 T oil, 3 T coconut aminos, salt and tapioca flour in a large, shallow bowl. Remove steaks from freezer and slice against the grain in to 1/2 inch strips. Cut each strip in to 1/2 inch squares. Add meat to the bowl, tossing to coat. Set aside.
- Mix chicken stock, vinegar, fish sauce, ginger, garlic and cayenne in a small bowl.
- Heat remaining 1 T oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat, add the peppers, onions, and celery and cook until crisp-tender, about 4 minutes. Add the chicken stock, vinegar, fish sauce, ginger, garlic, and cayenne mix and reduce heat to medium low. Simmer the sauce while you cook the steaks, reducing the heat if needed so it doesn’t boil.
- Strain the meat through a sieve placed over the pan with the vegetables, letting the marinade strain in. Stir to combine, and continue to simmer so the sauce continues to reduce as you cook the meat.
- Place the meat on a paper towel lined baking sheet or plate and blot to remove some of the moisture.
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium high heat for one minute. Add the steak and stir fry, tossing, until just seared, about 2 to 3 minutes for medium rare/medium. If you prefer your steak more well done cook for an additional 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add meat and any accumulated pan juices from the skillet to the vegetable and sauce pan. Stir to combine, spoon over prepared cauliflower rice and top with cashew pieces.
Amount per 230g
Nutrition is approximate, data retrieved from happyforks.com