- 2 bags frozen tater tots (Split the beef mixture - one for pre-game, one for half time!)
- 1 lb. Pre 92% Lean Ground Beef
- 2 Tbsp neutral cooking oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 Tbsp oregano
- 1 8oz can tomato sauce
- 1-3 Tbsp white vinegar or lime juice
- Hot Sauce (optional)
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese (or cheese of your choice)
- Pickled jalapeno
- Sour cream
- Green onion, thinly sliced
- Green pepper, diced
- Tomatoes, diced
- Cilantro, coarsely chopped
- Lime wedges
- Cook tots according to package directions.
While tots bake: Heat oil over medium-high heat, add beef and onion. Cook until beef is well browned and onion is translucent.
- Add spices and stir to toast. This will take approximately 2 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce and simmer on low for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add salt, hot sauce, and vinegar to taste.
When ready to serve:
- Preheat broiler.
- Pile one bag of (cooked) tots into a cast iron skillet (or any oven-proof baking dish) and spoon half the beef mixture on top.
- Cover with shredded cheese.
- Broil 3-5 minutes or until cheese is melted and slightly golden brown.
- Remove, top with your choice of garnish, and serve immediately.
Recipe by Chef & Culinary Producer Sarah Beth Tanner, @sbtcooks