FOR THIS RECIPE WE USED:
Filet Mignon - 5 oz. Beef Steaks
- 1 Pre Filet Mignon steak patted dry
- 1 head of cauliflower
- Spray oil (avocado is preferred because of the high smoke point)
- 2 1/4 cups fresh or frozen sweet peas (1 10 oz bag frozen peas)
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1 cup lightly packed fresh mint leaves
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Remove leaves from cauliflower making sure you keep stem attached.
- Cut down the cauliflower forming "steaks" about 1/2 inch thick.
- Place on a baking sheet and lightly spray each cauliflower with oil.
- To make the pesto:
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil and season with salt. Fill a bowl with ice water. Cook the peas in the boiling water until bright green and tender, about 2-3 minutes. Drain and transfer to the bowl of ice water to cool. Drain.
- In a food processor with the motor running, drop the garlic clove through the feed tube and finely chop. Add the peas, mint, pine nuts and lemon juice, and season with salt and pepper. Process to a paste. Scrape down the sides. With the machine running, drizzle in the olive oil. Taste and season with additional salt, pepper or lemon juice, if needed.
- Brush pesto all over the cauliflower steaks and place into the oven for 20 minutes.
- While baking, sear the top sirloin steak according to the steak temperature chart. Then set aside to rest before slicing.
- Remove cauliflower after 20 minutes. When it is starting to crisp.
- Drizzle the cauliflower with olive oil and some leftover pine nuts. Place a dollop of pesto on each cauli-steak and top with sliced sirloin.
Recipe by Chef Sarah Russo, @chefsarahrusso