Stromboli with Ground Beef
45 min serves 4-6
Stromboli with Ground Beef
Like a calzone but with a lot more sauce! Stromboli freeze well. Wrap individually in plastic wrap and then wrap in heavy duty foil. Place each packet in a ziplock freezer bag, pressing out any air to prevent freezer burn. They will keep for up to 8 weeks. To reheat place on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake from frozen in a 400°F oven for 25 minutes.
- 1 piece Rhodes Thaw, Rise and Bake Pizza Dough
- 2 t high heat cooking oil, such as grape seed
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- 1 16 OZ package Pre 95% Lean Ground Beef
- 3 OZ pepperoni, finely minced
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced or passed through a garlic press
- 1/2 t crushed red pepper
- 1 t fennel seed
- 1 t Italian seasoning
- 1/2 t kosher salt
- 1 15 OZ can favorite store bought pizza sauce, we love Rao’s
- 1 16 OZ container fresh spinach, chopped
- 1/4 C fresh basil, chopped
- 2 C shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 C grated parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten with 1 T water
- Thaw dough according to package instructions and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add the chopped onion, cook until it begins to soften, about 4 minutes. Adjust heat to medium high and add the ground beef, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon or mallet until cooked, about 7 to 8 minutes. Add pepperoni, garlic, crushed red pepper, fennel, Italian seasoning, and salt. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes then add 1/4 C of the pizza sauce. Add spinach and basil and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Filling can be made up to 2 days ahead. Bring to room temperature before assembling calzones.
- To Assemble stromboli: Preheat over to 450F.
- Have 2 large parchment lined baking sheets ready.
- Divide dough in half and place on a clean, lightly floured work surface. Lightly flour a rolling pin and roll out dough, dusting with flour as needed to prevent sticking. You want it thin but not transparent. 1 piece of Rhodes dough should make about 2 12” rectangular pieces.
- Place rolled out dough on parchment lined baking sheets with the long edge at the the bottom of the sheet. You’ll be rolling the dough up towards the top of the sheet.
- Place the filling evenly across the dough, leaving a 2’ to 3” blank strips from the bottom and top edges. Sprinkle mozzarella and parmesan over the meat mixture.
- Starting with the bottom long edge of the dough, roll the Stromboli towards the top of the baking sheet, stopping right before you hit the blank strip at the top. Brush the top strip lightly with the egg wash and fold it over the rolled dough, pressing to seal. Gently roll the Stromboli over so the seam side is down, tucking in any corners of dough as needed.
- Gently cut several vents in the dough to allow steam to escape. Brush top with egg wash and bake for 15 minutes. Let Stromboli rest for at least 5 minutes before serving.
- Cut in to chunks or slices with additional sauce for dipping if desired.
Amount per 317