FOR THIS RECIPE WE USED:
For Caramelized Onions:
To build tartlets:
- 2 large Spanish or yellow onions
- 3 tbsp cooking oil
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- Generous pinch salt
- 1 tbsp cup sherry or white wine
- 1 cup water (1 splash at a time)
- 3 oz Gorgonzola cheese
- 1 Pre® Sirloin Steak
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 pie crust (store-bought works well)
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- Thyme leaves
- Gorgonzola cheese crumbles
- Slice onions into thin arches. Add 3 Tbsp cooking oil to dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions and do not disturb for 6-8 minutes. Stir and repeat.
- After about 20 minutes, add 2 Tbsp brown sugar and a generous pinch of salt. Repeat process, now stirring every 3-5 minutes, as onions slowly brown and melt into a shiny, brown jam. Add a splash of water and adjust heat as needed to keep the bottom of the pan from scorching.
- When onions are very dark and condensed down into a brown jam consistency add sherry wine and scrape any brown bits from the bottom.
- Crumble in appx 3oz gorgonzola cheese. Stir to melt and combine. Taste and adjust for your perfect balance of sweet onion, saltiness, and pungent cheese.
- Set aside to cool until ready to use. Store in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Heat oven to 350º and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Allow pie dough and steak to come to room temperature.
- When ready, use a rolling pin to roll out the dough into a very thin circle. Use a small cookie cutter to cut out circles and place them on the baking sheet. Brush lightly with melted butter.
- Bake at 350º for 15-20 minutes or until lightly golden brown. Allow to cool. (Makeup to a day in advance, store in an airtight container.)
- Season steak generously with salt and pepper. Heat 2 Tbsp cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add steak and sear 4 minutes on each side for medium-rare (or to your desired doneness). Remove from heat and allow to rest 5-10 minutes before slicing against the grain into very thin slices.
- Assemble tartlets: onto each small pie crust, add 2 arugula leaves, 1 slice steak, and 1 small spoonful of onion + cheese jam. Garnish with crumbled cheese and a sprinkle of thyme leaves. Serve room temperature.
Recipe by Chef & Culinary Producer Sarah Beth Tanner, @sbtcooks