1 hour 30 min serves 8-10
This stuffing recipe is easy but it does take some time to pull together. You’ll want to leave time for the seasoning in the ground beef mixture to meld, 12 hours to overnight as well as leaving the bread out, uncovered, overnight. You can prepare the stuffing up to 2 days before serving. Assemble recipe, cover tightly with foil and keep in refrigerator. Allow uncooked stuffing to come to room temperature before baking.
Seasoned Ground Beef:
- 16 OZ Pre 85/15% ground beef
- 4 T garlic, mashed, divided
- 2 t dried parsley
- 1 t garlic powder
- 1 t onion powder
- 1/2 t ground black pepper
- 1 t paprika
- 1 t crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 t fennel seed
- 1 t dried oregano
- 1/2 t dried thyme
- 1 t ground sage
- 1 T seasoned onion salt (we like Trader Joe’s)
- 1 pound prepared seasoned ground beef
- 1/2 loaf sliced sourdough bread
- 2 T olive oil, divided
- 1 stick butter, divided
- 16 OZ white mushrooms, stems removed and cut in to 1/4” dice
- 1/4 C white wine
- 2 medium onions, peeled, quartered, and cut in to 1/4” dice
- 8 ribs celery, trimmed and cut in to 1/4” dice
- 3 large carrots, peeled, trimmed, and cut in to 1/4” dice
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 C half and half or whole milk
- 1 C low sodium chicken stock
- 1 T dried parsley
- 1/8 t ground white pepper
Day Before: Make the seasoned ground beef:
Blot ground beef with a paper towel and place in a bowl. Add remaining ingredients and mix, using your hands, until well blended. Place in ziplock bag and refrigerate, 12 hours or overnight.
- Place bread slices on a large sheet pan and allow to sit overnight.
- Stack bread, 2 to 3 slices at a time, and cut with a bread knife in to 1” cubes. Set aside.
- Heat 1 T oil in a large sauté pan, add meat, and cook over medium high heat, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until meat is browned through, about 7 to 8 minutes. Remove to a large bowl and set aside.
- In the same pan, melt 2 T butter in a sauté pan, add 2 T garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add mushrooms, continuing to stir for 3 to 4 minutes. Add the white wine and cook until liquid is absorbed, about another 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms to the meat and using the same pan, heat the remaining oil. Cook the onions, celery, and, carrots until just tender, about 5 to 6 minutes. When vegetables are done, transfer them to the bowl with the meat and mushrooms.
- Whisk the beaten egg, milk, chicken stock, parsley and white pepper in a medium bowl.
- Add the bread cubes to the meat and vegetable mix and toss, using clean hands, until well blended. Transfer mixture to a large baking dish and pour liquid over. Cover with foil and place in refrigerator overnight, or up to 2 days before serving.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bring stuffing to room temperature and bake, covered with the foil, for 40 minutes. Increase oven temperature to 475°F, uncover stuffing and bake for another 10 to 15 minutes, until top is golden and crisp.
- Let stuffing rest for about 10 minutes before serving. Leftovers keep, refrigerated for up to 5 days, or frozen for up to 6 weeks.
Amount per 220g
Nutrition is approximate, data retrieved from happyforks.com