- 1 Pre 92% Lean Ground Beef
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs or crushed rice cereal
- 1 small onion, minced or grated
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- ½ tsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Provolone cheese slices
- Garnish: Olives (pitted), pimentos, and vegetables of many colors, sliced into small rings
- 1 jar favorite marinara sauce
Add all ingredients (except provolone slices and garnish) to a large bowl. Lightly mix with fingers, and refrigerate for at least 10 minutes to firm.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil, and place a rack on a baking sheet. Spray with cooking spray. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Using your hands, form beef mixture into ¼ cup spheres. Place on the baking sheet. Bake at 350ºF for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, carefully remove meatballs from the oven. Add provolone cheese slices (in short strips) overlapping on top of the meatball and draping over all sides.
- Return pan to oven for 10 minutes. Remove and garnish with olives and veg to make pairs of ‘eyeballs.’
- Serve (in pairs) on a plate of warm blood. Er, I mean, marinara sauce.
- Tips & Tricks: Be careful to keep the meatballs small (eyeball size, mwah ha-ha). They tend to creep up larger. A ¼ cup scoop or ice cream scoop is a big help during this step.
- Give your eyeballs as much character as possible! Are the eyes crossed? Do some have eyebrows? Red pimento rings really help to make them look extra scary!
Serve with toothpicks nearby or stuff into a hoagie roll for a spooky meatball sandwich that looks back at you. Eww.