- 1 Pre Top Sirloin Steak
- 2 tbsp neutral cooking oil (like Grapeseed)
- 1/4 cup soy sauce or tamari
- 1/4 cup Mirin (Substitute 1/8 cup cooking sherry or white wine + 1/4 cup rice vinegar or white vinegar)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (Substitute honey. Other substitutes, like coconut sugar or brown rice syrup, measure to taste.)
Optional: 1 tbsp. grated ginger root
Optional: 1 clove grated garlic
Optional: 1 tbsp sesame oil
- Whisk together marinade ingredients. Taste and adjust as you like. It should be equal parts salty, funky, and sweet.
- Slice steak against the grain into small, thin pieces. Add beef and marinate for up to 30 minutes (or don't, still delicious). Taste and adjust as you like.
- In a medium saucepan or wok, heat oil over high heat. Add beef slices. Allow caramelizing for 3-4 minutes on each side. Check often. Once dark brown and caramelized, remove from the pan and set aside.
- Immediately add the marinade to pan and simmer, stirring constantly, about 2-3 minutes or until sauce thickens by about a third. Add beef back into the pan and coat with the sauce.
- Serve over rice or cauliflower rice, steamed vegetables (frozen broccoli works perfectly). Spoon sauce on top.
Recipe by Chef & Culinary Producer Sarah Beth Tanner, @sbtcooks