The History of Barbacoa
What is Barbacoa?
Barbacoa is the Spanish word for barbeque, and it is actually a form of cooking rather than a marinade. To cook using the Barbacoa method, you should first dig a hole in the ground. Then, cover your meat with agave leaves and slowly cook it. Barbacoa is traditionally made with tougher cuts of meat because of the slow-cooking method used to soften the meat. There is no exact seasoning for barbacoa as many recipes vary drastically, but the bottom line is that the seasoning must hold a bold flavor. This bold flavor stems from different chilis, chipotle flavors, and adobo, which, as you can imagine, would taste incredible on Pre steak.
At Pre, our barbacoa marinade is on flank steak, which is a tougher cut of meat but the actual flavor of the steak perfectly compliments the marinade flavor. The marinade contains savory chilies, garlic, and onion that slowly tenderizes the flank steak, so it will be incredibly soft and tender when you cook up your steak.
You can also use many different recipes and techniques for cooking Pre’s marinated barbacoa flank steak.
Cook Barbacoa it in the Skillet
- Bring the meat to room temperature, about 10–15 minutes out of the fridge. Then, pre-heat a skillet to medium-high heat with one tablespoon of high-heat oil.
- Sear your steak for 4–5 minutes per side—Cook to your desired doneness using a meat thermometer.
- Remove from heat. Let it rest for 5 minutes. Slice the meat against the grain and serve.
Prepare Barbacoa in the Grill or Cast Iron Pan
Remove your Barbacoa Flank Steak from the refrigerator and let it come to room temperature for 10-15 minutes.
Heat your outdoor grill to direct medium-high heat, 400-425°F.
Brush your steak lightly with high heat oil and grill for about 4 minutes per side for medium-rare or to your desired doneness.
Use a meat thermometer to check the temperature. Remove from heat and let the steak rest for 5 to 10 minutes.
Slice steak against the grain and serve.
CookBarbacoa using the Sous Vide Method
- Heat a large kettle of water with a sous vide circulator to 131°F.
- Remove steak from package and place in sous vide bag.
- Immerse bagged steak in water bath and secure to the side of the kettle with a clip.
- Place in a heated water bath for 90 minutes.
- Remove steak from the sous vide and blot with a paper towel. Sear in a cast iron pan or grill for 1 minute per side.
- Slice against the grain and serve.
Best Beef from Pre
Make your first or next taco night even better when you choose grass-fed and finished beef from Pre. All our products are sourced from farmers who raise cattle on pasture year-round. At Pre, we believe that food naturally tastes great when chosen with integrity and care. Find a store near you that carries Pre’s Barbacoa flank steak!