Cooking at Home on St. Paddy's Day
How are you celebrating St. Patrick's day this year? Try these delicious St. Paddy's Day recipes to celebrate. We tried using the corned beef cooking method with our Chuck Roast for St. Patrick's Day. This is not the typical cut to corn beef, as normally you would use a brisket cut. But, luckily, we've found out that our Chuck roast works well too!
We asked Jen to help us make a corned beef dinner, and a few recipes to go with it! Watch our video below to learn how to prepare a traditional corned beef and then how to apply that recipe to a corned beef breakfast hash that we've called "Lucky Hash" and a classic reuben sandwich we've decided to name "Rainbow Reubens" in honor of the holiday.
St. Patrick's Traditional Corned Beef with Pre Chuck Roast Recipe
- 2 Pre Chuck Roasts (3 lb. beef)
- 1 gallon of water
- 1 cup plus 3 tbsp kosher salt
- 6 tbsp pickling spice, divided
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 5 tsp curing salt
- Add kosher salt, 3 tablespoons pickling spice, brown sugar, and curing salt to the pot.
- Add brown sugar.
- Bring the brine to a gentle boil and then turn it off.
- Let cool. To speed up cooling, place the pot in the refrigerator.
- In a durable plastic or glass container, pour the brine and add the raw meat.
- Put container in the refrigerator and let sit for 3-5 days.
- After 3-5 days, take meat out of the fridge. Rinse each piece of meat with cold water and place in a pot with fresh water.
- Add 3 tablespoons of pickling spice to the water.
- Bring to a gentle boil and then turn to medium low. Let cook for 2 1/2 to 3 hours with the lid off.
- Remove from water and slice.
Once the corned beef is made you can slice it, dice it and throw it into many recipes. We chose to make a classic reuben sandwich with quality swiss cheese and rye bread and a breakfast hash with poached eggs. The corned beef will keep in the refrigerator for up to 7 days. Feel free to alter this St. Paddy's Day recipe!
St. Paddy's Lucky Hash Recipe | Serves 2
- 1 tsp butter
- ¼ cup onion, finely diced
- 3 cups hash browns, shredded
- 1 cup Corned Beef, cooked and diced (1/4 in. dice)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- Melt butter in a 9 inch non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook for 5 minutes.
- Mix hash browns and corned beef and add to pan, pressing down on the mixture with a spatula. Cook for about 7 to 9 minutes, until the underside of the hash browns are browned and crisp.
- Carefully place a large plate over the cooking pan and flip the pan upside down so the hash browns are on the plate, crispy side up. Slide them back into the pan and cook on the other side, about 6 to 7 more minutes. (Hash browns can be made ahead and kept warm in a 250 degree oven.)
- Bring a medium size pot of water to a simmer.
- Add salt and white vinegar. Crack each egg into a small cup or ramekin and gently tip the eggs in to the simmering water.
- Turn off the heat and poach the eggs for 4 to 5 minutes. Gently remove the eggs with a slotted spoon and drain off excess water.
- When hash browns are cooked through place poached eggs on top and finish with the chopped parsley.
St. Paddy's Rainbow Reubens | Serves 4
- 2 tbsp butter, room temperature
- 8 slices seeded marble rye bread
- 1 corned beef chuck roast, sliced as thinly as possible against the grain
- 1 cup sauerkraut (place in a clean kitchen towel or cheesecloth and wring out excess liquid)
- 4 slices swiss cheese
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup ketchup
- ¼ cup sweet pickle relish
- 1 tbsp pickle juice
- Mix sauce together ingredients and set aside.
- Butter one side of each slice of bread. Place 4 slices of bread, butter side down, on a griddle or in a large skillet.
- Place sliced corned beef, ¼ of the sauerkraut and 1 slice of swiss cheese on each slice of bread. Top with the remaining 4 slices of bread, butter side up.
- Heat the griddle or pan on medium heat and place a tray or platter on top of the sandwiches to weigh them down. You can also use a panini press. Cook for 4-5 minutes per side.
- Slice sandwiches in half and serve with a pickle spear, potato chips, and sauce for dipping.
You can buy Pre Chuck Roast in stores near you, find your closest one using our store locator. You can also find us on Amazon Fresh or Amazon.com.